Every year on September 16 people around the world celebrate World Ozone Day or International Day for the Preservation of Ozone Layer. This day is solely dedicated to spreading awareness about the depletion in the ozone layer of Earth that we’ve been witnessing for the past few decades. We talk about the activities that cause this problem and what are the possible solutions for this too.
World Ozone Day 2020 Significance
As we know, Sun is the only Natural source that keeps the surface of Earth warm enough so that it can be hospitable for all the living organisms. But Sun not only emits the heat and useful rays but it also emits rays which can be harmful to Earth. The purpose of the Ozone layer is to keep out such rays and radiations out from Earth. The Ozone layer is present at the Earth’s Stratosphere that keeps Sun’s harmful Ultraviolet rays away from the Earth’s surface. Malaysia Day 2020 Significance
The Ozone layer is made up of gases which have been depleting for the past few years due to some of our activities. This layer absorbs most of the ultraviolet radiation which can be harmful to human eyes, skins, and lead to other diseases as well.
History of World Ozone Day
The United Nations of General Assembly signed a proclamation on 19 December 1994 which says that September 16 will be commemorated as International Day for the Preservation of Ozone Layer.
September 16 was chosen because, on that day in 1987, 45 members of the United Nations signed the Montreal Protocol. According to the Montreal Protocol, every member country are urged to reduce the production of such substances that causes the depletion in the Ozone layer. Human-made substances like Halocarbons, chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) are most responsible for Ozone layer Depletion.
World Ozone Day Theme 2020
This year we are observing the 35th anniversary of International Day for the Protection of Ozone Layer. The theme of World Ozone Day is “Ozone for life”. We’re still in the process of healing the Ozone layer and it is still progressing.
World Ozone Day 2020 Slogans
- Ozone is like a “MOTHER” of EARTH….who protect her child from harmful radiations. Our Mother. World Ozone Day
- Doesn’t let the future go up in smoke. SAVE THE OZONE. Save ozone, Save a life (God Bless you). World Ozone Day.
- Life depletes when Ozone Depletes… So to save life save Ozone.
- Reduce depletion of ozone, otherwise you will be in the Redzone.
- You dont have to be a mayor to help protect the ozone layer.
Ozone Layer Depletion Facts
- The culprit was CFC – chlorofluorocarbon and HCFC – hydro chlorofluorocarbon which are also greenhouse gases.
- The “hole’ that was discovered in Antarctica was over 29 million square kilometers – larger than Russia and Canada combined!
- CFC was being used in refrigerants and cooling units, fire extinguishers and aerosols.
- Exposure to higher amounts of UV radiation can cause skin cancer, eye diseases and weaken the immune system of humans.
- Global Ozone is expected to revert to its 1980 thickness in the next 55 years.